Last updated 26. January 2021.
Here we have listed the 32 most sensitive and frequently asked questions from the automated maintenance test, with the best possible answers.
These questions are always asked during interviews on selenium automation by beginners and candidates with 3 years of experience.
We’ve explained the best answers to test automation maintenance questions so you can answer them with confidence. Take a look.
1. What is automation?
Ens : Running a program without human interaction is called automation. This reduces human effort.
2. What are automation tests?
Ens : Performing test tasks using an automation tool or a third-party tool is called test automation or simply test automation.
3. What are the goals of test automation?
Ens : The main goal of test automation is to make tests better, faster and more reliable, save time, improve accuracy and reduce human error.
4. How do you plan to automate the test?
Ens : The automatic check is not performed continuously. Test automation is best suited for the following scenarios.
- Repetitive and tedious tasks
- Smoke and safety tests
- Testing with multiple datasets
- Regression test cases
5. Why is testing important in software development?
Testing is necessary in the development of software or any other application because of the following factors. They are as follows:
- Identify errors, weaknesses, problems or defects to create a better product.
- The tests make the application stable.
- By identifying and fixing bugs, the quality of the application or software can be improved so that we can provide the customer with a guaranteed quality product, resulting in improved customer satisfaction. This can indirectly lead to an increase in sales.
- To cut costs.
- To optimize speed and efficiency.
The purpose of testing is to identify bugs or defects in the application in order to improve the quality of the software.
6. Why are the tests necessary or why should we perform them?
Ens : See answer 5.
7. How do I test a software application?
Ens : Testing of applications or software can be done in the following ways. They are as follows:
- Automation with Selenium, WinRunner, LoadRunner, QTP.
- Combination of manual and automatic control.
8. Why is automation testing necessary?
Ens : Automatic control is necessary because of the following factors. They are as follows:
- Manual tests are not always accurate due to human error. As a result, it is less reliable.
- Manual testing costs time and money. Automated testing reduces overall cost and human effort.
- Automated testing requires no human intervention. We can perform an automated test without intervention. Running test scenarios unsupervised saves people time and effort.
- Automated testing improves accuracy and reduces human error.
- Automation increases the speed of test execution. He can test much faster than a human.
- Supports the execution of repetitive and concurrent test cases.
- Automatic testing is more reliable than manual testing.
9. What are the typical cases that need to be automated?
Ens : The following criterion should be considered when deciding which test cases can be selected for automation. That’s it:
- High risk and critical test cases.
- When the tests are repeated or when the tests have to be performed more than once in a test cycle. For example, a regression test scenario.
- The tests are very tedious and difficult to perform manually.
- Testing takes time, so you should continue to automate your tests.
- Automated testing is also the best way to perform effective load testing.
- Automated tests play an important role when you need to run the same test on multiple sets of input data. For example, check the login page with different input records.
- If it is necessary to complete the test items in a different order.
- Automatic testing is very useful when you want to create a test report. The test report facilitates the detection of defects or malfunctions.
With these key points in mind, you can find the best systematic approach in any testing situation and achieve high-quality results in your project.
Now look at the following types of test scenarios you can use for automation.
- Functional regression test scripts
- Scripts for mental health tests
- Test scripts for verification
- Load test scripts
- Any script that is executed multiple times
- New function scripts testing basic functions.
10. Can we achieve full test automation?
Ens : The automatic test is intended to support the manual testing process and cannot replace it. It is impossible to automate with 100% functionality. 100% test automation is a myth, just like 100% test coverage.
11. What types of test cases do not lend themselves to automated testing?
Ens : The following are test cases that do not lend themselves to automation:
- If the test cases are newly designed and not run manually at least once, they are not suitable for automation.
- If the requirements for test benches change frequently, they are not suitable for automation.
- Automation should not be used in test cases where the data entered or expected is unknown.
- Complex test cases with several unrelated steps.
- Test cases that require error correction or urgent deployment.
- Tests that take less time to run manually than when using automation.
- Test scripts that produce unpredictable results.
12. What are the advantages/disadvantages of automated testing over manual testing?
Ens : Here are some of the key advantages of test automation over manual testing.
- Automated tests are 75% faster than manual tests. This reduces the test execution time.
- One of the main benefits of test automation is the support of repetitive test cases.
- The automation of the tests allows for parallel execution. We can run different tests in parallel with different test datasets in different operating systems and browsers.
- This improves accuracy and reduces the number of human-made errors. It also makes it possible to find and correct errors at an early stage.
- This saves time and money.
- This reduces the cost of maintaining the software.
- Human intervention is not required during test tasks. Tests can be done without depending on the person.
- The test script for automation can be reused. Automation helps in creating test cases that can be used multiple times.
For more information, see this tutorial: Tutorial on automated selenium testing and its benefits
13. What are the disadvantages or risks of automating selenium testing?
Ens : Test automation offers greater efficiency and accuracy in test execution, but it also has some drawbacks or risks associated with automation.
- A tester must have good programming skills, as all testing tools provide a scripting language for creating test scripts.
- It is impossible to achieve 100% test automation.
- The initial cost to start the automation project is very high because we need to purchase an automation tool for testing.
- The cost of the test script and data maintenance can be high.
- The test team needs time to select the tool and design the framework.
- No automation tool can support all applications and GUI objects.
14. What is the difference between a manual test and an automated test?
Ens : The differences between manual and automated testing are presented in tabular form:
|S.N.||Factors||manual inspection||Automatic tests|
|1.||The process||crafts||Use of the tool|
|2.||Time spent||More time||Less time|
|3.||STLC||Paths by hand||Pay attention to the use of the tool|
|7.||No. Test equipment||More demand||It takes less than that.|
|8.||Quality||Poor quality||High Quality|
|9.||Skillset||A less qualified tester could also||Highly qualified testers are required.|
For more information, see this tutorial: 15 Difference between manual and automatic tests
15. What types of software testing can we automate?
Ens : There are the following types of software testing that can be automated.
a. Testing the user interface : This test is performed to ensure that the product (application) meets the GUI specification.
b. Functional test : This test is carried out to ensure that the product fulfils all its functions.
c. Test the performance of the : It is performed to ensure that the application running on the server can support a high load when many users access the application at the same time.
d. Rating : This ensures that a particular application module works as intended or not.
e. Integration test : Integration tests are performed to ensure that the entire application works as expected.
f. Safety testing: These tests are performed to ensure that no one can hack the application credentials.
g. Testing for memory leaks: This ensures that the application can withstand the maximum load on a peak day like Christmas.
h. System check : This is to ensure that the system never fails in any of the above test scenarios.
i. Regression tests : Automated testing is best suited for regression testing when the code changes frequently and this cannot be done effectively with manual testing.
j. Load test : Validating an increasing number of users through manual testing is a very difficult task. This task can be accomplished with a good testing device.
16. Under what conditions do we prefer manual testing?
Ens : In the following cases, it is preferable to test manually.
- Use tests
- random selection
17. What challenges does a company face when making the decision to test automated software?
Ens : An organization faces the following challenges when transitioning to automated software testing.
- Recruit and hire the right testing specialist.
- Selection of the appropriate tool for automation tasks.
- Development and implementation of an automated test process.
- Analysis of the software application and selection of the most appropriate tasks for automation.
- Train the team on the automated testing process and how to execute it.
18. What are the stages or phases of the test automation life cycle?
What are the life cycles of automation tests?
Ens : The automation test life cycle consists of seven phases or processes, presented below:
- Decision to automate testing.
- Selection of tools for testing.
- Development and implementation of the framework
- Preparation of test data
- Automated test development
- Test execution, assessment and evaluation of test results.
19. How to choose a test automation tool for your project?
Ens : There are many testing instruments on the market: Open source and commercial. The choice of test tool is an important aspect of test automation.
To determine a testing tool to automate testing in a project, there are the following criteria.
a) First you need to fully understand your project requirements and then define the scenarios you want to automate.
b) List good testing tools that meet your project requirements. The testing instruments shall be familiar and user-friendly in terms of training, installation and maintenance. Does the testing tool support all platforms such as desktops, mobile phones, etc. depending on the project requirements?
(c) Determine the costs associated with the application of the test instrument. Choose test tools for automation within your budget.
(d) assess the technical possibilities to be taken into account in the selection of a computerised testing instrument.
e) Gather the experience of other organizations that have used similar testing tools.
(f) Maintain a list of vendor inquiries regarding cost/performance issues.
(g) Assess that a non-technical person can perform tests with little training.
(h) Assess whether or not the test instruments have test reporting functions, such as test analysis reports, graphic support, ad hoc reports. If not, can the test tool be easily configured with other tools?
(i) Assess whether the test tool supports cross-testing for web applications, different types of testing, and multiple languages.
After evaluating the testing tools, choose the one that fits your budget and meets the needs of your project.
These are all basic ideas to help you choose tools according to the needs of your project.
20. What kind of team members are recruited for automation?
Ens : The different types of team members recruited for automation are as follows:
a. Automation Test Manager : Responsible for obtaining appropriate resources to carry out activities. It also manages the entire project and determines the approach to project implementation.
b. : Responsible for tool management, test development environment.
c. Automation Test Developer : Responsible for writing the automation test script.
d. Automatic Tester : Responsible
21. Explain how to plan the resources of the automation system.
Ens : The following system resources should be identified for the project.
22. What are the challenges of test automation?
Ens : The automation of testing poses four major challenges. They are as follows:
- Management approval : Budget and time are two important factors in obtaining management approval.
- Selection of the automation tool
- Decide how you want to start.
- Define automation expectations.
23. What are the key features of a good automation tool?
Ens : There are some basic features of a good automation tool that you should consider before making your choice. That’s it:
a. A good automation tool should be able to support a test environment.
c. Must have a good foundation for problem solving.
d. Reliable object detection.
e. Functions such as object and image inspection should be available.
f. Object Identification
g. Database test
f. The test tool should support multiple frameworks.
24. What are the most popular test automation tools?
Ens : Here are the most popular test automation tools available for automated testing:
a. QTP (Quick Test Professional)
b. Rational IBM
functional tester c. Selenium
d. Visual Studio Test Professional
e. Catalan studio
g. SOAPUIh. Apache Junit/JMeter
25. What types of frameworks are available to automate software testing?
Ens : Broadly speaking, there are four types of automation frameworks that can be used to test software automation. They’re identical:
a. The basics of automation with data
b. Keyword-based automation framework
c. Modular Automation Structure
d. Hybrid automation structure
26. In what situations should we not use test automation for an agile method?
Ens : There are the following situations or circumstances where test automation does not make sense for an agile method.
a. When there are frequent changes in requirements during agile testing.
b. When agile testing requires a full level of documentation.
27. What tests can be performed with a selenium structure?
Ens : The selenium frame can be used for the next test:
- Load testing of web applications.
- Regression testing of web applications.
- Functional testing of web applications.
28. Can I automate my CAPTCHA or RECAPTCHA?
Ens : No, we cannot automate or recapture the captcha.
29. What are the key elements to consider when designing an automated testing infrastructure?
Ens : Here are some of the key elements to consider when designing a test automation system:
a. Collection of reusable functions in the form of libraries for faster automation.
b. Support reuse of common frameworks and configurations across platforms, tools, and languages.
d. Coding instructions, including documentation.
e. Error handling Library
g. Libraries for reporting. Mechanism for data processing.
h. Scenarios for
i drivers. Management of property managers and the repository
j. Support new and existing applications under development.
30. What are the criteria for determining the success of automated tests?
Ens : The following key criteria can determine the success of automated testing.
a. Determine the number of errors detected by the Test Automation Toolbox.
b. Determine the savings in manual effort.
c. Determine the extent to which costs are reduced. The net savings can be calculated as (total cost of testing before test automation) – (total cost of testing after test automation, including the cost of manual testing + the cost of running test automation + the cost of maintenance).
d. Calculate the number of days that automated testing decreased throughout the test cycle.
e. Calculate the automation factor of the test. This is the number of automated tests performed / total number of tests performed. The more, the better.
f. Determine the ability of test automation scripts to run on different platforms, browsers, and operating systems.
31. Can automated tests be run without a frame? If so, how?
Ens : Yes, automated tests can be run without the frame. Understand the tool step by step and the programming language supported by the tool.
32. Is the automated test a white box test or a black box test?
Ens : Automated tests are essentially black box tests.
33. How many test cases have you automated per day in your project?
Ens : This number depends on the complexity of the test cases. If the complexity is limited, I automate 5 to 6 test cases per day. Sometimes I automate just one test case for complex scenarios.
Related questions about testing automated search in Google
a. Why do you think we need automated testing?
b. How is automation testing performed or carried out?
c. What are the steps in planning the automated tests
d. What are the risks or disadvantages of automated testing?
e. Can automated testing completely replace manual testing?
f. When do you switch to manual testing instead of automated testing?
Suggested interview questions :
- Maintenance questions about Java for selenium automation testing
- Thematic questions and answers on Selenium interviews
- More than 30 questions and answers about the selenium framework
- More than 50 questions and answers about TestNG in 2021.
- Interview questions for company representatives
We hope the questions and answers will help you understand the test automation questions asked in an interview.
If you prepare the answers to these questions, you can answer the interviewer’s questions with confidence. Share this social media information with your friends.
Thanks for reading!
automation testing interview questions for experienced professionals with answers, selenium automation testing interview questions and answers for experienced, tricky qa interview questions, automation testing coding interview questions, automation technician interview questions and answers, automation testing mcq questions and answers, manual testing interview questions, real time manual testing interview questions