This is the case with Skype Translator. Simply put, this is an enabled feature that allows you to start a conversation with someone whose language is different from yours.
Skype will translate what the other person is saying. So it is easy to speak from another language into your mother tongue. If you want to learn how to use and set up live translation in Skype, read this step-by-step guide.
Skype Translator What is it and what are the features and limitations of Microsoft Live Translator?
The Skype translator is a feature in this application that translates simultaneously while talking to another user whose language is different from yours. This allows you to communicate with someone who speaks a different language. Moreover, you can do this while speaking your native language, as the translations are performed simultaneously. Therefore, the platform translates the words of the other.
Activation is very simple, but it should be remembered that when activating, everyone must choose the language in which they want to speak or write. So Skype recognises everything you say and immediately translates it into another language. If your interlocutor, for example B., speaks to you in English, the application will show you the text in English and translated into Spanish below. It should be noted that in the case of videoconferencing, the interpretation referred to above is also oral.
Even if you are talking to someone else, everything will be sent with a translation in their native language. The important thing in these cases is that the languages used appear on the list of languages supported by Skype. There are 11 in total, and the most common ones are English, Italian, German, Russian, etc.
As a recommendation, Microsoft says it is ideal to use headphones to make understanding more efficient. Also remember to speak clearly and take short breaks while translations are being displayed. It should be noted that this feature is currently only available for desktop chats.
To learn a little more about it, we’ll discuss some of its features and limitations:
Features and limitations
Skype Translator is a pretty futuristic idea, but it’s still in the early stages of development. So in general, we can say that it works pretty well because it combines speech recognition, machine translation, text-to-speech, cloud-based processing and machine learning.
The result is a very interesting service that allows people to communicate without limitation of the language they use. But because it is still in its infancy, there are often a number of adverse factors.
For example, one of the most obvious is that you should speak at a leisurely pace. For this to work properly, you need to keep the same rhythm in all sentences, which means not speeding up your dictation and avoiding long sentences. It makes the speech process much slower than normal ….. Either way, it’s a very interesting option that can get you out of trouble and is worth a try. Finally, Skype recommends recording the conversation to improve recognition.
Step-by-step guide to setting up and using Skype Translator from any device.
- In the chat, right-click or hold your finger on a contact.
- Choose Display in profile.
- You can also click on the title of the chat or on the chat itself to access the contact’s profile.
- Click the Transfer Request button to transfer the calls.
- The other person you are talking to is notified when this function is activated. Select Accept from the menu to continue. Please note that if the other person does not have the latest version of Skype, you will not get this information.
- Once your invitation is accepted, all calls and instant messages will be translated into the language of your choice. Moreover, the language spoken in Skype becomes the default language of the device. However, you can always choose a different one in the settings.
- In translated conversations, the platform displays the messages as they are translated. However, you also have the option of displaying the original message.
- The conversation remains available in the last chats.
To make a translated audio or video call, you must click the audio or video button for the call. Your voice is translated and is also displayed in subtitles in the conversation window.
How do I adjust the settings for a translated Skype call?
- Click on your profile picture.
- Enter the configuration.
- Enter the general and further parameters of the translation.
- Select the type of information you want to customize: spoken language (choose the language in which you want your messages, calls, and subtitles translated) or voice translation (where the voice is translated into another language). You can choose your preferred language style, i.e. male or female).
- You can return to settings at any time to change this option.
How many languages does the live Skype interpreter speak and how does the translation work?
The Skype translator currently supports up to 11 languages. This means that the conversation partners must have one of these alternatives in order for the program to offer a translation option for the conversation.
In particular, the supported languages :
- Simplified Chinese.
- Traditional Chinese.
- American English
- The Japanese.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments. We will get back to you as soon as possible, and it will certainly be a great help to other members of the community. Thank you.
Author : Patricia Jimenez
Graduate in social communications with extensive experience as a content writer and author, passionate about Apple products, macOS, iPhone….