Before plunging into the turbulence and explaining how to configure DNS under Windows 8 and 8.1, we’ll present you with an article explaining what this concept means. This is a translator who converts domains to IP addresses and vice versa.
This address gives us access to the website we are interested in and allows us to consult the site and its interface. Every ISP has a DNS server to which he connects by default and which determines whether he has access to certain websites or others. If we are unable to access a particular website, we may need to change the addresses to which we are linked.
The procedure to be followed is not too complicated, but it can have consequences for our internet connection and should not be carried out lightly. You don’t have to be a complete expert in web configuration, but you do have to be a bit picky when performing different tasks.
Steps for modifying and configuring DNS Correct in Windows 8
If your computer is equipped with Windows 8, you should not be afraid, because the configuration of these domain name servers is very intuitive and you only need to take a few steps to change them. Of course we will provide you with a very simple guide. Let’s get started, and in a few minutes you’ll be solving the problem:
- You must first be in the Windows startup area.
- Then look at the control panel option.
- Then we open the Network and Sharing Centre.
- Once we have access, check the options on the left side of the screen and click the Change Windows Adapter Settings button.
- Below is a list of all network connections available on our computer. But all we have to do is change the DNA of the compound we’re using. So if we connect via cable, we will have to change the Ethernet connection, and if we do it via WiFi, we will have to work on the option with the same name.
- To know exactly which network adapter we use, just look at the available icons. Ours will be colored and may have a green check mark to indicate that the connection is working.
- Once we’ve located our network, we have to double-click on it to open the properties.
- In this field we need to find the Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4 / TCP) option, which for security reasons is at the bottom of the item list; we select the option with two quick clicks.
- Click on the Properties button.
- A new dialog box opens in which we have to search for the option Use the following DNS server addresses.
- It contains two points of preference and alternative DNS that we want to use for our team. We have to write them down.
- Finally, click on the Accept button at the bottom of the window. At this moment the changes are being registered and the new DNS is available.
List of active public DNS servers
In order to offer you a number of possibilities, we have selected a number of employees to whom you can login. Upon arrival, step by step, at the location of the addresses, simply place one of the following items.
A list of the best DNS servers with their addresses:
- Alternative DNA: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- CleanBrowsing: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- Cloud: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- Comodo Secure DNA : 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- The advantage of DNA: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- DNA: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- Dean: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- The fourth legacy: 220.127.116.11
- FreeDNS : 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- Google: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- GreenTamDNS: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Electric Hurricane: 18.104.22.168
- IBM Quad9 : 22.214.171.124
- Level 3 : 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- Unstar: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Norton ConnectSafe : 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- The house of OpenDNS: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- OpenNIC : 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- point CAT: 18.104.22.168
- SafeDNS : 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- SmartViper : 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- No censorship: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- Verisin: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- HOUR: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
How can I troubleshoot DNS if it doesn’t respond in Windows 8?
There are several reasons why these addresses do not respond properly on our computer with Windows 8 and 8.1. As we have seen, changing these DNSs does not always solve the problem.
We recommend that you first check the rules created in the firewall or installed by our antivirus program. This can lead to a blockage, and although the DNS is well set up, we can’t connect to some websites properly.
If the error is not found, we can repeat the previous steps to change DNS and test new ones.
If you don’t want to get rid of your chosen address, there is one last chance to renew our connection and it will work again. It’s just a matter of resetting your DNS settings. Before that:
- is to open exactly one window terminal.
- You can do this from the Start menu and search for the Run option.
- Then we have to write the letters cmd.
- Click on Introduction. A black screen – Windows Terminal – has opened.
- For the time being, we can work as a team and we need to introduce the points below:
- ipconfig / flushdns (clears the DNS cache).
- ipconfig / registerdns (DNS re-registration).
- ipconfig / release (releases the IP address).
- ipconfig / refresh (refresh IP address).
- netsh winsock reset (DNS socket reset).
Then it should be possible to work with the Internet in the usual way and with the DNS, ready to access any web space. Try to forget the veto’s of your mobile provider!
If you have any questions, please leave them in your comments, we will contact you as soon as possible and this will certainly help more members of the community. Thank you very much.
You may be interested in: